Infants with tonsillitis are relatively dangerous, if not treated promptly, there is a high risk of myocarditis, glomerulonephritis, etc. Therefore, parents should pay special attention. Especially during the transition period, the weather is cold, the child’s respiratory system is still very vulnerable to infections.
The reason babies have tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is a disease that can occur at any age, in which case newborns with the disease are relatively dangerous. Because the child’s respiratory system is very weak at this time, it may be affected by external allergens that cause immunodeficiency. Failure to detect in time the high risk leads to dangerous complications.
The cause of a baby with tonsillitis may be due to the following factors:
1. Impact of virus
Inflammatory tonsils of children can be attacked by viruses, some common forms such as:
- Cold virus: This is considered the leading cause of tonsillitis in newborns. Influenza viruses, rhinoviruses, adenoviruses, coronaviruses, etc. are some common virus sets that combine to cause tonsillitis.
- Group A streptococcus bacteria: Infants with bacterial tonsillitis account for up to 30%. Especially, group A streptococcus bacteria is the leading cause of the disease.
- Other types of bacteria: Common types such as mycoplasma pneumoniae, chlamydia, streptococcus, … There are also pertussis, syphilis, fusobacterium and gonorrhea bacteria that cause tonsillitis in newborns.
Tonsils are inherently a “door” to protect the nasopharynx of young children from invasive harmful agents. However, when exposed to and dealing with a variety of bacteria, tonsils are susceptible to infection, which makes the child extremely uncomfortable. This condition in newborns should not be underestimated and should be detected and treated early.
2. Change in weather
The changing seasons, especially when the weather is cold and the weather is dry, is a favorable condition for allergens that have the opportunity to harm infants. At this time, children are very infected with respiratory diseases, including tonsillitis.
3. Poor hygiene
The reason that babies have tonsillitis is also due to their habit of holding hands or holding objects. Besides, if the mother does not pay attention to the hygiene of her mother regularly, the bacteria can also invade the child’s body at any time.
The tonsils are swollen due to a large number of bacteria attacking, causing it to “back up in time”, unable to fight off and lead to injuries and infections.
4. Some relevant factors
Babies with tonsillitis may also have:
- Babies who are fed with formula milk and not breastfed for the first 6 months of life are susceptible to harmful agents, due to weak immune system. In particular, just viruses, bacteria attack the child will be more infected than those who are exclusively breastfed.
- Tonsils of newborn babies have many nooks and crannies, this is a place where bacteria can multiply if mothers do not often help their children to clean.
- Accidentally exposing children to people with illnesses such as sinusitis, flu, etc. also increases the risk of infants having tonsillitis.
Signs of newborns with tonsillitis
Mothers should observe changes in children, when seeing one of the following signs it is best to have your baby tested for early treatment:
In the early stages of the child having tonsillitis, there will be symptoms such as a sore throat, difficulty sucking, drinking water or saliva. This makes children often fussy.
Unusual in crying
Can easily recognize the changes in infant crying. When the child is inflamed, the crying sound of a child is usually narrower than normal, even in the case of crying without sound, as if there is something blocking the child’s throat.
If you observe that the throat of the tonsils with red spots, or sometimes white or yellow, is the problem. In cases where the child has viral tonsillitis, there are also burns around the palate area, which can be checked by the mother when the baby opens her mouth.
At this time, the mother needs to take the baby to the hospital for treatment, because the burns can burst, causing ulcers, pain that makes babies cry and discomfort.
Cough a lot
Due to irritation in the throat, children will cough more often, which again causes pain. Besides, the baby’s breath is now smelly than normal even though the mother has hygiene for children.
Children have difficulty swallowing when the tonsils have a problem that causes saliva to flow more. Saliva accumulates in the mouth but children cannot swallow, leading to frequent drooling.
Tonsillitis in infants can spread to the area behind the ears at any time. When the child coughs and swallows, this area will be painful, especially when the mother acts on by picking the ear, gently touching the child can burst into tears.
The child’s body temperature rises due to the impact of pathogens. Tonsillitis in infants can cause a high fever above 39 degrees C, this is the mechanism that the body adjusts to fight infections.
Swollen lymph nodes
Tonsill infections can lead to swollen lymph nodes, as the tonsils are considered part of this system. Infants will have swelling in the neck and jaw area.
This is a common symptom in infants with tonsillitis. When invaded by Group A streptococcus bacteria, the toxins in the body are stimulated, leading to the formation of erythema on the face, neck, back, abdomen, … sometimes causing ulcers that cause children pain. .
Are babies with tonsillitis dangerous? How to diagnose
Babies with tonsillitis are relatively dangerous. When children with this disease need treatment early to avoid complications to other parts more serious.
When tonsils are inflamed with pus, abnormal fluids, bacteria will have the opportunity to spread to the area of the ears, nose, throat, causing children to fall into an abscess, sinusitis, nose, larynx, … extremely dangerous. The respiratory system, heart, joints, kidneys, etc. are also easily affected if complications arise from tonsillitis.
Therefore, taking children to see a doctor early when the disease starts will help improve the health of the child. A number of tests will be performed by a doctor to determine the level of inflammation in a newborn such as:
- Check the throat: The doctor uses a stick to press the child’s tongue to look at the throat. This can help the doctor make a preliminary diagnosis of the child’s current condition.
- Check the surrounding tissue: The doctor uses the hands to touch the tissues to determine the degree of swelling in the skin around the neck and jaw. Because the stage of infection with tonsillitis will lead to the phenomenon of lymphadenitis.
- Ear – nose test: Secondary infection can be caused by pathogens that enter the ear and nose of the newborn.
- Sample biopsy: The doctor takes some fluid from the tonsils through a medical gauze, then sends the specimen to a lab to check for the cause of the virus or bacteria.
- Blood test: A meta-analysis to determine if lymphoma appears with associated symptoms, if any, it can be concluded that the infant has tonsillitis.
Through the above basic tests, the doctor will determine the level of tonsillitis and have the appropriate treatment for each child.
How to treat tonsillitis in newborn babies?
Treatment of tonsillitis in newborns will be more complicated than in other cases because the baby’s body is now weak and sensitive. It is essential to take children to see children when they have symptoms of suspected illness.
The intervention of a professional doctor will help overcome the child’s condition better. Parallel to that, the mother can perform a number of treatments for infants with tonsillitis by the following methods:
1. Home care
Babies with mild tonsillitis, mothers can fight off the disease by home care according to the doctor’s instructions:
- Liquid supplement:
In case of children under 6 months old, they should breastfeed more often. If your baby has weaned, supplement your baby with water and solid foods like porridge or soup
This works to keep the child’s body moist, while helping wash away the bacteria that attach to the tonsils, helping to reduce irritation in the child. Do not give your child anything cold, too hot, especially sweets that can make tonsillitis worse.
- Give babies a rest
Rest will help the newborn’s body reduce the irritation caused by tonsillitis. Especially when a child has a fever.
- Use a humidifier
The dry air creates favorable conditions for bacteria and viruses to attack infants. Therefore, moms can use a humidifier to help retain moisture in the air, limiting the irritation of the air to the sore tonsils.
The right moisture also contributes to improving tonsillitis in the newborn. If not using the device, the mother should put the baby in a cool place, avoiding areas with dry airflow.
2. Treatment according to the doctor’s regimen
Infants with tonsillitis can recover well if detected promptly and cared for properly.
- Use of medication
T beam after a period of care at home as directed by your doctor does not fix the symptoms, use of medication will be applied.
Infants are allowed to use some antibiotics, pain relievers such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen according to each level of inflammation and absolutely only follow the doctor’s instructions. Because the use of medication for infants needs to be cautious if you do not want your baby to have serious consequences due to the side effects of the drug.
Tonsillectomy is indicated only in cases of severe inflammation of the newborn, infection. This measure should be considered in the most urgent cases such as tonsillitis that affect the eating, breathing and sleeping of children.
Tonsillectomy is the last resort if the inflammation is repeated many times in a newborn. After the surgery, the child will continue to be monitored for 24 hours to make sure no postoperative complications occur.
It is also very important to take care of your newborn later, you need to follow the instructions of a professional.
Prevention of tonsillitis in newborns
Preventing tonsillitis in newborns right from the beginning is something parents should do for children. At this stage, the young body is sensitive to almost all unhealthy stimuli from the outside.
Therefore, parents should note some of the following issues to protect the health of the child, avoiding the situation of infants with tonsillitis:
- Create a clean, cool living space for children and avoid dirt that harms the child’s body.
- Children should not be taken out on windy days, paying attention to keeping children warm on cold days. Especially during the seasonal seasons of the child’s body often infected.
- Utensils, toys, bottles, … objects that come into direct contact with children need to be cleaned daily, ensuring cleanness, limiting children to suck their hands and suck objects to prevent bacteria from invading the throat.
- Regular oral hygiene for children, keeping personal hygiene, especially when children start teething.
- Children should not be exposed to those who are ill.
Information about the situation of infants with tonsillitis and what to know above hopefully has helped parents. The newborn stage is the stage that needs the best care for a baby to have a healthy body forever. Therefore, if you see abnormal signs, you should take your child to the doctor immediately to have early treatment measures, to avoid unfortunate complications that may occur.